Beauty on a Budget | 5 Make-up Must Haves

 Top 5 Make-up Products

Top 5 Make-up Products
Unfortunately being a student generally means living on a budget.  If you're anything like me, this is not good for your beauty-purchasing needs.  Here I will reveal my top 5 make-up must haves which are purse friendly and get the job done.   

Good make-up and beauty does not have to be expensive.  There are so many beauty bloggers out there who post amazing posts and videos about make-up and beauty, but lots seem to be higher end and more expensive products.  As much as I would love to buy all of my make-up from Chanel, Benefit or YSL, this post is going to join the posts on 'drugstore' products, for those of you who want to spend a little less money on buying new products for your beauty regimes.  

Base


Rimmel Lasting Finish 25hr Foundation

Shade Pictured | 100 Ivory



This foundation is definitely a 'must have' for anyone's make-up bag.  It gives good coverage without being cakey, and can be applied using either a brush, make-up sponge or your fingers (I prefer to use a brush, for example the Real Techniques Cheek Brush).  The foundation claims to have 25hr wear, which I doubt it lives up to (I've never had foundation on for 25hrs before) but I'd say it lasts a good 6-8 hours on a normal day.  I have normal/combination skin and this works really well for me.  If you have drier skin I would say to definitely make sure your skin is moisturised before applying it to prevent dry patches appearing.  For those who have more oily skin, just make sure to set it with a powder to make sure it doesn't budge throughout the day.

I love the fact that it has a pump, as it means less product wastage.  Also, I do like the glass bottle as it feels more expensive and pleasant to use.  It is easy to store at home or in your make-up bag, so is great for travelling. 

Overall, a wonderful foundation with good wear, coverage, and comes in a good variety of shades. 


Maybelline Dream Touch Blush

Shade Pictured | 02 Peach

Two swatches | Left (Blended) Right (Un-blended)

When I first bought this cream blusher I have to say, I wasn't a fan.  It seemed to disappear within a couple of hours and I felt the pigmentation wasn't great.  However, after trying it a few different ways, I have now found it to be my go to blusher.

I would recommend applying this product with your fingers and then blending out with a brush to get a good amount of product on your cheeks.   Apply a few loads of blusher on with your finger, as it does sheer out when blended.  It comes in a few different shades so there is a colour to suit most skin tones. 

It has a very very creamy texture, which is great, but if you have oily skin I would say to avoid this one.  For those with normal-dry skin, I would highly recommend this product as it really gives a beautiful glow to the cheeks and doesn't look too cakey either.  As my skin can get a little oily throughout the day, I sometimes add a tiny bit of powder blusher in a similar shade on top just to lock the product in place all day.

I think the packaging is quite cute, and I do like that it is made of glass.  However it is quite bulky, especially considering the amount of product you get in it.  For travel I would recommend one of the Max Factor cream blushers instead as this Maybelline one is far too big!



Bourjois Healthy Balance Unifying Powder

Shade Pictured | 52 Vanille

This powder has been my favourite powder ever since the day I bought it.  When I saw it in the shop I had never heard of it before.  I already have two of the healthy balance (mix) foundations and concealer which I love, so I thought I would give the powder a go.

It is such a lightweight powder which doesn't make your skin look cakey at all.  I usually apply it with either my Real Techniques Duo-Fibre Face Brush or my EcoTools Bamboo Powder Brush.  It claims to last 10hrs which I wouldn't agree with, I would say 6-8 hours wear is about it's max.  Nonetheless, it does keep shine at bay for a decent amount of time which is all you need from a powder, right?

The packaging is perfect.  It is slimline, fairly robust and has a mirror.  This is a great travelling product that you can just throw in your handbag.  The powder also smells of apricots which I really like as well.  It also comes in a fairly good variety of shades; I would definitely recommend this product to people with all types of skin. 

Eyes


Collection Eyes Uncovered Nude Palette

Shade Pictured | Nude Palette

Shades Pictured (Left to Right) | White Chocolate, Biscuit, Brown Sugar, Espresso

I have heard some people talking about how good this palette is, and that it is comparable to some higher end eyeshadows, so obviously, I had to try it out. 

For only £2.99 it is an absolute bargain and you get a great variety of shades, both matte and shimmery.  The pigmentation from the shadows are fantastic as you can see from the swatches pictured above.  The shadows blend out beautifully and last a good 6-8 hours if not more (with an eyeshadow primer).  I tend to use my EcoTools eyeshadow brushes to apply the colour and the Real Techniques Angled Shadow Brush to blend it out. 

I would say this palette is quite similar to my Urban Decay Naked Basics palette, in terms of colours, packaging and even longevity of wear.  If you are looking for a new neutral palette I would say save your money and buy this one!

Lips


Revlon Lip Crayons

Shades Pictured (Left to Right) | Lovesick, Provocateur, Striking

Swatches (Top to Bottom) | Lovesick, Striking, Provocateur

These are my most favourite lip products, like, ever.  With three different types and finishes, there is definitely something for everybody.  The original formula, the 'Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain' (what a long name) has a finish which isn't too matte but isn't too shiny.  Later Revlon brought out two more formulas, the 'Colorburst Matte Balm' and the 'Colorburst Lacquer Balm'.  Hence the name, the Matte Balms give a very matte finish which I quite like.  The Lacquer Balms give a very glossy finish which I also like.

The pigmentation of all three formulas is just amazing, with just a few swipes on the lips and you are good to go.  The packaging is great, I love the Chubby Stick-esque  design and you can easily twist up the bottom to get more product.  I also love how the colour of the packaging reflects the colour inside as it makes it so easy to find the shade you want. 

All three formulas leave a slight stain on the lips after a couple of hours which is good, however if you like the glossy finish then you do have to reapply fairly often to keep it topped up.  Furthermore, the matte balms do tend to be a little drying on the lips.  Despite these little downfalls, I would 100% recommend these products to anybody.  They are inexpensive, pigmented and easy to use, which a great range of colours and finishes. 

And to finish.. 


I hope you enjoyed reading about my 5 make-up recommendations on a budget.  With all the products coming it at well under £10, they are very inexpensive without sacrificing the quality of product.  Feel free to leave your budget beauty recommendations in the comment section below as I would love to know!

Talk soon, Molly x  






Comments

  1. Definitely want to try these all out girl! Love this! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! Recently followed your blog and enjoying reading through all your posts ☺️
    Hannah xo

    http://hannah-daisyd.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Hannah! I think you have a lovely blog too! I will soon be doing the Beauty Tag that you tagged me to do so keep an eye out for that :)

    Molly x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment